Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Market

Today I went to the market for the first time. I cant believe I have been here a month and not been to the market! This one is just across the main road from the lodge where I am staying. It was quite an adventure. First of all crossing the road was a major undertaking! Traffic comes at you from all angles, regardless of rules, reversing, overtaking, speeding, you name it. So having safely negotiated that hurdle, I found my way through the narrow alleys into the heart of the market, passing ladies frying something like donuts in hot oil and a guy trying to fix a flat tyre. There were stalls selling fruit and veg, mostly each stall had the same fruit and veg.....then I came to the meat and fish section....wow so many flies in one space!!! Vendors were waving bits of cardboard over chunks of meat in a vain attempt to prevent them settling on their wares. There were bits of animal on sale that one does not see in Tesco! Lots of dried fish too. That brought back memories of Sierra Leone, when that was our main source of protein. In fact the whole scene felt immediately familiar and comfortable, like coming home. Life outside of my bubble.
I bought tomatoes and cucumber to make a salad back in my room. I checked out a few clothes stalls too, and there were 'proper' shops as well selling rolls of dust covered fabric or toiletries or tin trays. I managed to scare a few babies, not intentionally of course, but I guess they don't see too many white ladies in funny hats waving at them.
I made it back to my room safely and enjoyed my salad with some cheese, so all in all a good trip out.

No comments:

Post a Comment